Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  10:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The rest of the voice, beneath the singer's formant

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> the illusion of continuity? sorry john, i don't think so. my post is
> a challenge for a definite answer and frankly, i doubt i'll get one. maybe
> there isn't one as yet. but, i have my doubts about the singer's formant
> theory. my post was an expression of those doubts.

Mmm. There are certain illusions we can create in music: you can create
an illusion that a melody on the piano is moving in a complete legato
swell, even though each n note is in fact dying away; if you have to
modify a vowel when singing, in order to get the tone-colour you want,
you can "tune" to the desired vowel right at the end of the note, and
the listener will get the illusion that this is the vowel they have been
listening to all along (well, IME anyway); I think fundamentals can be
well understood and substituted by the brain - like words left out of
sentences which are so easily understood to be there that we don't
bother putting 'em in: I think this is the reason why close intervals
low down always sound muddy, because notes that close are related in the
harmonic series of a fundamental that's too low to hear, or to hear
easily, even though that fundamental isn't actually played/sung.

Not saying that this corroborates John's theory, just that it suggests
that it isn't complete nonsense.
--
Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5217 Re: The rest of the voice, beneath the singer's RALUCOB@a...   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB
5224 Re: The rest of the voice, beneath the singer's Dre de Man   Fri  10/6/2000   4 KB
5246 Re: The rest of the voice, beneath the singer's Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  10/6/2000   4 KB
5296 Re: The rest of the voice, beneath the singer's RALUCOB@a...   Mon  10/9/2000   3 KB
5308 Re: The rest of the voice,beneath the singer's f Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  10/9/2000   3 KB

emusic.com