Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  5:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] tech. singer's formant

MIke wrote:

> if it is the singer's formant that allows a singer to be heard over
an
> orchestra, how does the rest of the singer's sound, particlulary that
under
> 2700hz. make it through? does it 'piggy back' on the formant? does it
> make it through on its own? if so, does the formant just act as a flag?

I've always wanted to ask that question!!!! I'd always feared it would be
considered too stupid. Now, that you've been stupid :-) enough to ask that
before, I feel comfortable to allow my stupidity to express itself ( now on
purpose, of course ): if the formants are only the overtones ( 3rd, 5th,
8th, etc ) and the fundamental doesn't project, does it mean you hear the
opera singer as if he/she were doing backing vocals?

Caio thinking aloud: "now, all I have to do is be brave enough to send this
crap"

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com