Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
"Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  8:46 am
Subject:  Re: So Inoffensive it's offensive

Caio wrote

>A friend of mine defines that as everything that is simple in music ( by
>that he means easily executed ) and/or has arrangements with
>'overly'-pleasant timbre ( like Kenny G, for instance ).

I agree with the idea that 'overly' pleasant music is corny, and kenny G in
particular is very high ranking in this skill. I often see it as being "so
inoffensive that it's offensive"
Olivia Newton John, and other female crooners of the era are some names that
also come to mind.
The piped Muzak that you hear being used in supermarkets and lifts is in the
same category. It's like some brainless session music takes a whole bunch
of standards, and plays them very politely, like he\she is typing at a desk,
without any idea of the conviction of the original. Like a pleasant, jazzy
version of 'carmina burana' or something. I recently heard the most
inoffensive version of 'summertime' i've ever heard. it just sounded wrong.
Piped restaurant music often say this to me-
'hi folk, sit back and listen to the sound of yourself have a night out'

Having said that, I don't think the piano has an inherently 'overly
pleasant' sound. It can be used that way, but there's just so much scope in
tone and intent that is actually possible.
Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5161 Re: So Inoffensive it's offensive Tako Oda   Thu  10/5/2000   2 KB
5169 Re: So Inoffensive it's offensive Paul Sinasohn   Thu  10/5/2000   4 KB
5211 Re: So Inoffensive it's offensive Reg Boyle   Fri  10/6/2000   2 KB

emusic.com