Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  7:45 am
Subject:  We're losing our rights to sing & listen to music

Hi all,

Right now there is a law before congress which will restrict our rights to
sing openly and to prevent our listening to opera and other forms of music
at our work place during lunch and on breaks because someone else may hear
it and that someone else has not paid for the right to listen to it. This
currently applies to music and singing over the internet, but, if passed,
will set a precedent and eventually limit our musical freedoms we now enjoy.

Congressman Boucher and several others have drafted a new bill to kill the
law presently before congress. This new bill states that we, who purchase
music on CD or tape can listen to our music freely regardless of where the
CD is stored: That is in our homes or on internet servers who provide
storage for our purchased CD's.

There are several links that describe the new bill but the best place to
read about it and to actually take a few minutes and register your vote
and/or send a predrafted letter to your own congressman is at
http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/95/the_million_email_march.html

I urge you to go, look and register your vote before Nov 7th so that this
bill can be passed.

Cordially,

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.
"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"

ADVICE FOR SINGERS "When you think you've hit a false note, sing
loud. When in doubt, sing loud." ---- Robert Merrill

BillyANM@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5145 Re: We're losing our rights to sing & listen to m BillyANM@a...   Thu  10/5/2000   2 KB
5200 Re: We're losing our rights to sing & listen to m Patricia M Smith   Fri  10/6/2000   4 KB

emusic.com