Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  3:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: help

Anne Cronvich wrote:

. Also, does anyone have any"tricks"
> for dealing with a jutting jaw? I've tried getting him to stretch
> through the back of the neck a la Alexander, lookdown (but, not too much
> to compensate at least temporarily, but that blasted jaw keeps trying to
> cross the room -- I'm out of tricks HELP!!??

How about having him sing while lying flat on the floor, face-up? Gravity pulls
the jaw
down and back and one can really feel oneself trying to fight gravity to tense
the jaw
into one's accustomed position. At least that's what started giving me a handle
on my jaw
tension--it was the first time I actually recognized the FEELING of my tension
AS tension
(as opposed to seeing it in the mirror or on a video and intellectually knowing
it was
there). Learning the feeling of the tension was a first step to learning the
different
feeling of relaxation there. Now, when I see a person speaking on TV with a
tight jaw
like I used to have, it drives me nuts, because I recognize my old tense jaw
feeling.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...