Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marje Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
"Marje Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
Date:  Wed Oct 4, 2000  12:24 am
Subject:  Re: Jazz versions of songs "about fire"

I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
These Foolish Things ("The scent of smould'ring leaves" -- 3rd verse)
Fire ("'Cause when we kiss, oooh,")
Fire on the Mountain (Grateful Dead)
Burning Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)
Drill Ye Tarriers, Drill ("Drill! and blast! and fire!)
Old Devil Moon ("Stars in the night blazing their light Can't hold a candle
to your razzle dazzle)
You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To ("You'd be so nice by the fire", Cole
Porter)
Lover ("Softly in my ear you breathe a flame"-- I *love* the Peggy Lee
version of this!)

The following are alphabetical from "The Sheet Music Reference & Price
Guide", and I can only guess that many of them mention fire or flame. Let
me know if you want specific details like composer/lyricist:
The Blacksmith Blues
Blaze Away
Blaze of Glory
Blaze of Honor
Blue Flame
The Burning of Rome
Burning Sands
By Candle Light (Cole Porter)
By the Campfire
A Candle in the Window
Candlelight
Chinese Firecrackers (Irving Berlin)
Christmas Candle
The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting o'er an open fire")
Cigarette
Come On Spark Plug (1923)
Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
Fireflies
Fires of Faith
Hello Ma Baby ("Give me a kiss by wire, Oh baby my heart's on fire")
I'm Playing With Fire (Irving Berlin)
In the Candle-Light
Keep the Home Fires Burning
Keep the Love Lamp Burning
Keep the Trench Fires Going for the Boys Out There
Kiss of Fire (Lester Allen & Robert Hill)
The Lamplighter's Serenade (Paul Francis Webster & Hoagy Carmichael)
Lantern of Love
Let's Make Love by the Fireside
Light a Candle in the Chapel
Love is Like a Firefly
The Moth and the Flame (1898)
Old Fireplace
The Old Lamp-Lighter
One Little Candle
Say It With Firecrackers (Irving Berlin again)
Smoke Dreams
Smoke From a Chimney
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Smoke Rings
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! That Cigarette (Merle Travis & Tex Williams)
Song of The Flame (Gershwin, prob. piano music?)
Swamp-Fire
There's a Little Spark of Love Still Burning
The Torch Song
While a Cigarette Was Burning
Winter Wonderland ("Later on we'll conspire...")
You've Built a Fire Down In My Heart (Irving Berlin)

Whew, hope I didn't extrapolate *too* far!

Marje
Rocio wrote:
<<I have a friend who is looking for Jazz versions of all kinds of songs
that talk about fire in one way or another, he named "Come on baby light my
fire" as an example on how far to extrapolate ;o)>>

emusic.com