Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Oct 3, 2000  7:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Sting's technique (to Tako)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 BillyANM@a... wrote:
> Speaking of celebrity voices, what do you think of Alanis Morissette's
> technique? I know two women who emulate her sound and technique (and don't
> complain of any problems), but I've also heard that Alanis doesn't sing
> properly, and has little or no formal training.

To make a fair comparison, I went and listened to her rendition of "King
of Pain" (which is by Sting :-)

I like her voice. Any quirks or license she takes seems to be applied to
the baseline of a healthy voice (easy to hear when she's "unplugged")...

As you know, I question the paradigm of "singing properly". Some trained
singers are terrible and the reverse is also true. Artistry is more
important than technique, though the happiest situation is when both
exist. What matters to me is an instrument that serves the music best, and
I think Morissette has good songs and sings them well.

Tako

emusic.com