Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 3, 2000  6:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

In a message dated 10/02/2000 8:00:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
RALUCOB@a... writes:
RALUCOB@a... writes:

> i have heard about 'soft' and 'hard' mix in connection with the sls
> approach (i think it was rocio who told me about it). as i remember,
these

> different mixes have some connection to style. could you or rocio, or
any
> of you other slsers explain this please?
>
> mike
Here it goes friend,
What we do:
First, work on connection/co-ordination in developing a "mix". Mix
meaning, Mixing the chest and head together...........we deal with this by
going through the bridges, or as Miller calls it zona de passagio, I believe.
(Not a direct quote).
Second, once the co-ordination is established through the mix. Meaning
that the muscles are able to work together to establish a mix, we then begin
strengthening them, by slowly adding more air pressure. We also work with the
combination of vowels and air pressure that would more easily accomodate
staying in the mix. These vowel combinations also will help in eventually
stabilizing the larynx. SO, a "soft mix" or a "hard mix" is merely talking
about how much air pressure the vocal cords can withstand while they are in
that posture...................Further, different styles of music demand that
we use a soft or hard mix in order to adequately convey the
song..........however, it all boils down to developing a connected sound from
top to bottom and stabilizing the larynx.........
Hope this helps,
Mary Beth Felker
The Voice Project

emusic.com