Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 3, 2000  3:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

Mike wrote:

i find that the principles of sls, as i am
> beginning to understand them, are very similar to the principles mark
baxter
> put forth in 'rock & roll singer's survival manual'. i get the sense
that,
> though the principles are similar in all the above, the methods of
> implimentation are quite different.

I asked Baxter about that some time ago and I got this answer: "I am not a
Speech Level Instructor in particular although many of the ideas cross over.
These days, with the diagnostic equipment that's available, every one is
teaching a more balanced type of technique. I've often referred to what I
do as Functional Voice, a term coined by a school in West Germany."

On the other hand, I got this opinion about Baxter's job from a high-level
SlS teacher ( not from the list ): "Firstly Mark Baxter is definetely not
doing SLS, in fact ******* said that Mark's book is "crap". ******** with
Mark and he boasts that he can pull chest up to second bridge. That's a
pretty painful boast, and I'm sure an unpleasant sound to listen to as well
not to mention bad for your throat." ( I've put the *** to avoid gossiping )

What he said about pulling chest up is true. That information is in a chart
in his book where he explains the balance of air blown up and resistance of
the cords. It seems very contradictory, since everything he says in his book
would lead to an SLS perspective. Aerosmith's Steve Tyler, Baxter's most
famous disciple, can't really be referred to as a Speech Level Singer ( but
I like him ). My previous teacher had classes with Baxter and loved them,
and she's also a speech pathologist.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com