Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
"Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  8:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Mezzo or soprano (to be or not to be) (longish)

Cynthia, thank you for your reply

I'm terribly sorry, I forgot to mention in my original post that I'm 24 years-old, which is a very important piece of information, I know.

I've been singing since I was child for my own pleasure and in a couple of choirs where my biggish voice used to stick out very badly and so I quitted. Then, as I grew up (22) and was in the middle of my business school studies, I decided to take just a couple of voice lessons to find out if my voice could be at least polished a little. Well, now I know that my voice can never be that small little pleasant light-lyric soprano thing everybody loves to listen to, but something else...

In the beginning singing was difficult; I had to learn nearly everything from the basics. Then I realized the problem was not in my larynx or body but in my head: after having been singing for 22 years "naturally" I couldn't accept the fact that my singing voice would change. Only when I recognised this stupid "change resistance" I was capable of learning fast and efficiently. I do enjoy my "new" voice as it carries my original personal sound qualities in it but is really more beautiful at the same time. I sometimes try to remember what it felt to sing "back then" but my voice automatically switches back to right placement, my support works nearly unvoluntarily etc.

So it seems that motivation, maturity (both mental and physical) and careful practicing with lots of concentration and emphasis on quality instead of quantity have really been fruitful. At some point I realized this is something I want to do for the rest of my life and set my earlier business career ambitions aside in order to devote more time to singing. We'll see what happens.
I have my next lesson on Thursday and I'll discuss these issues with my teacher then.

BR

Marika

emusic.com