Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

I'm going to give a go at this..............
Here is a general answer. I trained classically/opera for 15 years before
becoming an 'SLS-er". I have my BA in music education and performance and am
currently working on my Master's in Speech Language Pathology alongside
working as a SLS instructor.
My frustration with "Classical" technique was that it did not allow me to
sing any other style........legitimately, I always sounded like an opera
singer singing gospel.................yuck!
My point is that "CLassical technique" is really "Classical styling".
Just like we have Jazz style, ROck style, Pop Style, Musical Theatre style
etc. HOwever, it always made sense to me that there had to be a way to learn
how to use my instrument independent of style...........there is a uniform
way that the voice works correctly. SLS was the first technique that showed
me this was possible. I had looked at the work and pedagogy of many others,
but they always got bogged down somewhere in a style. SLS has a confirmed
history of success in all genres of music........
I'm going to quote again something I heard at a workshop this weekend and
I believe it is worth taking note of, "ALL styles of music are a deviation
from good technique." I think that says it all, and should remind us not to
"buy" into what anyone teaches unless they can back it up with a solid
physiological understanding of how the voice works..............independent
of style.
My two cents worth..........
The Voice Project
Mary Beth Felker

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5047 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  10/3/2000   4 KB

emusic.com