Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Relative education level (was: 'opera singer' w...

Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> I met Julie Andrews last year and asked her if she had any advice for young
> Charlotte Church and she said, "When I was her age, I wanted to sing Puccini
> but my teacher had the good sense not to let me. She seems to be singing the
> right repertoire right now [this was before the 2nd CD came out] and I hope
> she continues to get good advice."

I think the Jewel Song is a miscalculation, but I'm not too sure about O
Mio Babbino Caro. Yes, she's miked, and as a concert song rather than in
its operatic context it doesn't sound too bad to my ears.

I know it very well in its proper context, and Lauretta is a very young
girl. This aria is often overblown and sung as though it was for a
middle-aged woman. My recording of Gianni Schicchi features Mirella
Freni, scarcely in the first flush of youth, and unfortunately she
sounds like it, whatever her artistry. Charlotte at least brings it the
freshness and youth that it so often lacks
--
Linda

emusic.com