Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  7:09 pm
Subject:  sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

randy and any other sls folks,

my exposure to sls has been mainly through discussions with people on
this list. also, i have worked with roger love's cd that accompanies his
book 'your voice at its best'. i think i have an idea of what it is
generally about and find that it is similar to what i had been doing anyway
(in a sloppier way). i know roger love feels that what he does is not to be
compared to what seth riggs does (i assume it is that roger feels he has gone
on in other directions). i find that the principles of sls, as i am
beginning to understand them, are very similar to the principles mark baxter
put forth in 'rock & roll singer's survival manual'. i get the sense that,
though the principles are similar in all the above, the methods of
implimentation are quite different.

randy, you spoke of an 'sls sound' that might not appeal to those
accustomed to the 'distorted' operatic sound. i wonder if there are singers
who, though not sls people, come close to the results achieved by sls opera
singers. i am hoping that these would be well known examples. my guess is
that dietrich fischer-dieskau and his students might be different but, close
in meeting the principles of sls opera (words that sound like words, varying
timbre from top to bottom more in keeping with every other instrument as
opposed to the 'one sound fits all' approach).

my interest comes out of a love for classical music and opera, being the
music i grew up with and spent years singing, and a growing disgust for the
vocal production that usually accompanies it (though i'll always love george
london). i understand that some would argue that the two go hand in hand
and did so in the composers' minds. even if that were true, i don't care.
i am not above using music in anyway i see fit even if it is offensive to
some. (great music of any style will survive what i do to it.) so, it is
in my desire to find an alternative approach to singing classical and
operatic literature that makes me ask.

i know attempts have been made (linda ronstadt in boheme, for example)
with [a] little success.

mike

buzzcen@a...Domisosing@a...RALUCOB@a...RALUCOB@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5005 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc buzzcen@a...   Mon  10/2/2000   3 KB
5018 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Domisosing@a...   Mon  10/2/2000   3 KB
5047 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  10/3/2000   4 KB
5028 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  10/2/2000   2 KB
5032 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc thomas mark montgomery   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5036 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Caio Rossi   Tue  10/3/2000   3 KB
5040 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc RALUCOB@a...   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5042 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc RALUCOB@a...   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5044 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc Caio Rossi   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB

emusic.com