Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  5:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] malmsteen vs clapton

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:

> The fact that YOU don't feel anything special about Malmsteen, doesn't mean
> OTHERS won't. And the fact that YOU feel Clapton or Summers are special,
> doesn't mean OTHERS will. That's personal preference only.

OK, let's set taste aside. I still maintain Malmsteen only seems
accomplished because he infuses his music deliberately with seemingly
difficult passages. Summers can do all that and more, and you'll never
convince me Clapton couldn't learn Malmsteen's scales and arpeggios if he
put his mind to it. MOST wannabe rock guitarists can play Malmsteen!

There is also some objectivity to the idea of originality, at least in the
tech department. There is NOTHING Malmsteen does that Eddie Van Halen
didn't do years earlier. Clapton, like Van Halen practically helped
develop a new genre of guitar playing while in Cream.

Tako

emusic.com