Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  2:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pop voices

> Very impressive. If you like him, you may also like Geoff Tate of
> Queensryche.

Geoff Tate is one of my references ( Idealistically only, not
comparatively ) and old Queensryche ( not their new stuff ) too, although I
prefer Dream Theater, - 'superior' prog metal that pleases my 'taste'- as
opposed to Symphony X, 'superior-ER' prog metal that bores me like nothing
else. Andre Matos's ( ex-Angra's vocal, I should add. Now, he's on a project
with a German guy ( www.virgo-online.de ) timbre reminds Geoff's in head or
mix voice, but I think Geoff used chest, mix and head, while Andre does mix,
head and falsetto.

>I actually sense he uses mixed voice and falsetto, but no
> actual "tenor head voice". I hear a chest-based heady mix on D4, and
> falsetto on all the higher notes... D4 is too low to be in head voice
> already,
I told you you were technical superior to me! :-)

>I like the sound, very edgy!

I think you'd like their 'Holy Land' cd, where they mix heavy metal, prog
metal, classical music and Brazilian rhythms ( including parts taken from a
rare recording of Indian tribal chants, African-Brazilian drums, Hermeto
Paschoal, etc ).

Bye and thanks for the feedback,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com