Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  12:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

Tako Oda wrote:

> Since Phantom of the
> Opera is technically an opera, Brightman had a pretty long run as an opera
> singer. I don't think she'd survive any 19th century opera, but I found
> her to be perfect as Christine when I saw her in NY many years ago. Her
> voice has a singularly clear, rounded tone, which reflected the childlike
> innocence of the role.

I guess I can't argue with those who say Phantom is an opera. But I can't
think of it in
the same class as opera written to be performed in an opera house, without
electronic
amplification (which Phantom surely was not). I agree Brightman has an
operatic vocal
technique - and I seem to recall reading somewhere she's done an opera or
operetta
performance or three in the UK. But I'm not a Phantom or Lloyd-Webber fan (so
I've never
gotten into her performance of Christine), and I really don't like the sound of
her voice
otherwise, so any opera she would attempt, I'm afraid I'd leave others to go
listen to.
But I wish her well, and hope she makes lots of money from her recordings.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4972 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tako Oda   Mon  10/2/2000   4 KB

emusic.com