Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  9:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS)

Caio,
I think you missed the piece, or page, of the puzzle that puts Seth's
explanations on Page 25 and 26 into perspective.
Here it goes, page 27
"Breathing for singing is a very relaxed process. When we say you can
regulate it, we only mean you allow it to happen so that inhalation and
exhalation are done in a way that best suits your musical needs. You do not
have to work at breathing correctly, unless you have poor posture or a
tendency to raise your chest and shoulders and take shallow breaths. Nor do
you need to do any special exercises to strengthen your breathing muscles.
Your diaphragm, rib muscles, and abdominal muscles are already strong enough
for your needs as a singer.
If you maintain good posture when you sing, and are careful not to let
your chest "collapse" as you exhale, your diaphragm is able to move freely
and be regulated by your abdominal muscles automatically. There is no need to
consciously exert tension in those muscles. If you try to directly control
your breathing muscles when you sing, the extra tension in your body will
only cause your vocal cords to overtense- to jam up. "
----- The main thought being in all of this is that there has to be the
balance of air and muscle while singing.............balance of these two
things equals support. The imbalance equals effort and strain...........the
sad thing, and this is Rocio's point, is that many voice instructors focus on
the result of proper singing........ie support, resonant tone, etc., as the
process to get the result.................SLS focuses on keeping singing as
simple a process as possible so that the singers energy is focused on
delivering the music and not one's technique.......
Hope this clarifies,
Mary Beth Felker
Seth Riggs Associate/SLS instructor.

emusic.com