Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  5:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS)

Roccio wrote:

>Not quite, but close :o)

Your emoticon shouldn't be like that- :o). I saw your picture in your
handbook. You're pretty.;-)

>We don't teach breath support as an active part (in the sense of "teaching
the student how to breathe for singing") unless the natural way of breathing
of a specific student is poor. Obviously breathing is an important part of
singing, so Riggs explaines what normal (or correct) breathing looks like.
But many techniques over-emphasize the importance of correct breathing and
"pushing with the diaphraghm"

Ok, but on pages 25 and 26 of Singing for the Stars, by Seth Riggs, he
explains the differences of breathing in speaking and singing. He says about
'Normal Exhalation": "You diaphragm and rib muscles relax. The diaphragm
returns to its position and your rib cage comes down. This allows your lungs
to shrink back."
While under "Exhalation dureing Singing", he says: "Not the same as normal
exhalation. To be able to regulate the amount of air you send to your vocal
cords, you must be able to CONTROL ( my upper case ) your rate of
exhalation. Your rib muscles, therefore, continue to keep your rib cages
thus your lungs ) expanded, while your abdominal muscles TAKE OVER CONTROL
( my upper case ). Your abdominal muscles PUSH ( my upper case. I own all
upper cases in the world :-) ) ( in a state of flexible tension ) up
steadily and slowly against your lungs )."

>and attempt to solve many problems just through breathing when the origin
of the problem might not have anything to do with "support". If the cords
aren't closing properly, for example, there is nothing to support in the
first place.

How do you know they're not closing properly? I mean, what feature in the
voice? Only a breathy voice?

>When you say "not pushing it above the first bridge" we start deferring in
our definitions or breath support: "Thrusting" in your diaphraghm is not
breath support, but an attempt to get higher notes in chest when they should
be in mix. Correct breath support is when you get to feel the natural
compression of air in your abdominal/chest cavity and the sound is well
balanced, but we never force it or teach specific breathing exercises unless
there are some really bad habits.

If I got it properly, SLS proposes breath support, as quoted above, but not
tensing the abdominal musles to vibrate stretched out vocal cords.

.>If the student breathes correctly while speaking we'll just make sure
everything stays the same while singing: relaxed larynx and good cord
closure will result in good support. That goes for chest, mix, and head; not
just chest.

That's what sounds contradictory to me: no one breathes with breath support
while speaking, therefore, by what was quoted above, you must teach breath
support for singing, what makes Mike's assumption about SLS still not quite
precise- PC version of 'wrong' :-)

Mike, now I'm curious about what you teach. Don't you teach any kind of
breath support, not even as SLs suggests?

Best regards,

Caio Rossi

Best Regards,
Rocio Guitard