Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  10:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

At 08:11 PM 30-09-00 -0400, you Christine wrote:
>"If you focus on expanding your abdomen outward, it's not a guarantee that
>your ribs will expand; if you focus instead on expanding your lower ribs,
>then your abdomen will follow along."

Dear Christine,
Just to be a teeny bit picky. I regard the abdomen
area and the higher epigastric area as two distinct areas with separate
involvement in the process. So, given that there is general agreement
on the need to expand the ribs, per the Miller description, this seems to
be the leading activity, with the "singing on the feeling of the inhale", an
epigastric activity, while the lower abdomen has an automatic function.
I hope you see my need to put more detail into
the otherwise beautiful quote.

Regards Reg.

emusic.com