Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  1:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:09:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< I've tried the down-and-out position (stomach pooching out while singing,
having a baby, etc.) but found it to be too forceful and not effective for
me. I think men use that type of support more than women do. >>

Interesting, other people have said the reverse - notably Jerome Hines in his
book, THE FOUR VOICES OF MAN, if I recall correctly. I like what Carol
Webber (from Eastman) said at the NATS Intern Program this summer
(paraphrase):

"If you focus on expanding your abdomen outward, it's not a guarantee that
your ribs will expand; if you focus instead on expanding your lower ribs,
then your abdomen will follow along."

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4902 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Reg Boyle   Sun  10/1/2000   2 KB

emusic.com