Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  1:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant

> With regard to "that Nazi, Wagner", wasn't he anti-semitic? That would
> explain the rather broad use of the term "Nazi." Anne

Far be it from me to be a list thread-inhibitor, but based on sad experience on
the opera
list, I have on my subject-line auto-delete list "Nazi", and I if a message
gets through
the subject line filter and it has the words Nazi and Wagner in the same
message, it gets
deleted without reading further. It has gotten very, very ugly on that topic
many, many,
times there. (PS, for the record, I'm Jewish, know holocaust survivors
personally, I like
Wagner's music and go hear his operas whenever I can.)

Anyone who's interested in reading endless writing on this topic, I encourage
to go to the
Opera-L archives (URL below) and do a search "wagner nazi", and you should get
more than
your fill of this topic!
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/opera-l.html

--