Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  9:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

And also wrote:

>I doubt anyone has
> every been brought to an emotional crossroads by a Malmsteen song. He has
> no sincerity or originality. Musicality is not about showing off.

If you mean shedding tears at Malsmsteen music, I agree, but that's not his
purpose. But many of his songs ( Dreaming, I am a viking, and others ) give
me a high that I can't get from Clapton or others. Therefore, he
communicates ( some of ) his ideas, feeling, and values to people ( like
me! ).

>You may not care for Clapton's songs, but some people
> (including me) were very moved by his "Tears in Heaven" regardless of its
> supposed technical shortcomings. It did its job well. >

What I meant was that musical ( or, as you will, technical ) quality has
nothing to do with your liking it or not. It has to do with objective
features in music. My mother is not half as 'superior' as Mother Teresa was,
but if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose my mother. What
my mother means to me has to do with my life story, and so does one's taste
in music, and so on. Musical ( technical ) quality has to do with how far a
certain civilization or group has gone in that field and how that piece of
music relates with what has been achieved. Pop music is objectively inferior
to classical music, but most of what I like to listen to is in the pop area
( though not SO popular, like Dream Theater, Angra, Rhapsody, Joe Satriani,
etc ).

> You also seem to know a lot more about historic singers.

Ops, that's not me! I'm inferior in that area too.:-)

bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4870 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tako Oda   Sat  9/30/2000   3 KB
4975 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tako Oda   Mon  10/2/2000   2 KB

emusic.com