Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

Ian Belsey wrote:

> Mike, I'm a great believer in slumping also!! It's
> just because of the ballet training, it's almost
> impossible for me not to stand 'correctly', whatever
> that is!?! When I was a student at the Royal College
> of Music, I had a teacher who tried to change what was
> a natural posture for me, with the result that after a
> period of time (also trying to get me to 'support' by
> pulling in my abs etc, which is disastrous for the
> larnyx) by voice packed in completely, my right vocal
> cord haemmoraged and it was no singing at all for 9
> months.

I'm not sure why supporting by pulling in the abs (etc.? pulling in
other bits? doing other things to the abs? doing something else entirely
as well...?) in itself should be disastrous for the larynx. It sounds
rather as though your teacher wasn't monitoring the sound coming out of
your mouth or s/he would have known early that there was something
wrong.

I'm curious to know who you were taught by there. I'm not sure how old
you are, though I seem to remember something a few months ago that
suggested you were around my age give or take a bit. And I was at the
Royal Academy (not the college) in 1969-70, but studied later privately
with a teacher from the RCM and also did my teaching diploma externally
there. Please could you e-mail me privately to let me know?
--
Linda Fox, Cambridge, UK

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4872 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Reg Boyle   Sat  9/30/2000   2 KB

emusic.com