Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  7:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Relative education level (was: 'opera singer' wa...

In a message dated 09/30/2000 11:26:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
ingo_d@y... writes:

<< The reason why both of us didn't like him as that his voice didn't appeal
to us. That doesn't mean that he is a bad singer in my book, it's just
different strokes for different folks. >>

I walked into Barnes & Noble last year and heard a tenor whose voice I just
didn't like - couldn't put my finger on it, but I just didn't like the voice,
it irritated me. So I asked the guy at the counter, "Who IS that?" and he
said, "Bocelli." I could only stand shopping there a few more minutes before
I fled into the mall to get away from the sound.

And BTW, I'm not a classical snob. Some of my favorite singers include Renee
Fleming, Dawn Upshaw, early Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, k.d. Lang, Bob
Dylan, Thomas Hampson, Annie Lennox, Cher (!!!), Tom Jones, Bette Midler ...
basically anyone who can interpret a song to my liking has a sound that
attracts me.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com