Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  7:11 pm
Subject:  'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant

Once, long ago, during the mid '80s, I was moonlighting in a
record store on the the Upper West Side on Broadway in Manhattan.
It was during this time that audio CDs were in their infancy &
analog recordings were being remastered on to discs.
One of the discs we were promoting was: "Toscannini & Wagnerian
Overtures with the NBC Orchestra" (a magnificent recording!).

One day a customer walked in as the recording was playing -
she asked, "who is that"? I responded, "That's Toscannini conducting
the NBC Orchestra in the prelude to Act III of Die Walk:ure by Wagner."
She commented as she walked out of the store, "Oh, that Nazi, I hate him"!

I had no words for her as I watched her leave the store...that was one "no
sale"
that didn't hurt in the least.

E.V.
who feels people are entitled to their opinion (no matter how wrong they may
be).