Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  5:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] OFF: Milk - Time to look at the facts

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Elizabeth Finkler wrote:
> But saying that people who have Type I diabetes have antibodies to cows'
> milk in the blood is not the same as saying that ANY infant who is exposed
> to cows' milk will get the disease. I have heard of Type I diabetes being
> diagnosed in babies less than a year old, who have had naught but Mother's
> milk.

That's why I said *can* cause, not *will* cause. I never suggested it will
happen to all infants. There is a chance, however, and it is wise to avoid
giving things to an infant that they don't need - 1) they can't tell you
whats wrong with them if something feels wrong, 2) they are not as hardy
as adults, 3) their immune systems are still in development, 4) you really
should maximize decent nutrients for a young child - the brain development
at this stage is critical, and can't really afford to digest food that
doesn't serve a specific nutritional need in a optimally balanced way.

-Tak

emusic.com