Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  1:03 pm
Subject:  BREATH SUPPORT

Hi, List.

I've deleted the post to start from for this thread, but I think it came
from Mike and Ian ( and was also suggested by Mike in a private e-mail ).

What do you think of breath support? Should we breathe out active or
passively? Mike is for passive breathing, while my teacher is 100% an
'activist'!

I myself notice that I can sing without breath support, but I sing better
though with less pleasure ) with breath support. The sound becomes more
'compact', focused and higher notes in chest voice become much easier to get
to. On the other hand, I agree with Mike - in his private e-mail - that it's
harder to sing some sounds with breath support. You have to rehearse them
beforehands in order to do it right, but I think it's just a matter of
habit.

Mike, you also suggested here that SLS is not for breath support, but that's
not what I read in Riggs's book. There's even an illustration showing what
active breathing is all about. They're against pushing it above the point
where your chest voice would start turning into mix, but they're for it as
far as chest voice is concerned ( or did I miss something ? ).

Best regards,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com