Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  12:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

Hi Mike, Reg, and all.

Mike, I'm a great believer in slumping also!! It's
just because of the ballet training, it's almost
impossible for me not to stand 'correctly', whatever
that is!?! When I was a student at the Royal College
of Music, I had a teacher who tried to change what was
a natural posture for me, with the result that after a
period of time (also trying to get me to 'support' by
pulling in my abs etc, which is disastrous for the
larnyx) by voice packed in completely, my right vocal
cord haemmoraged and it was no singing at all for 9
months.

You can now I guess appreciate why I am so against
'methods'. Of course, there is or rather, should be
only one way to sing physically, but that is not
realistic. As we can see from this very interesting
discussion, not everybody interprets ideas of
technique in the same way, and that is the hardest
thing for a teacher of singing to put over in many
respects.

Before my vocal glip at the age of 22, I had been
singing for 14 years with absolutely no ill effects at
all. I was obviously just 'singing' when I was a kid,
but thankfully my first singing teacher did not
interfere with what I was doing physically. It wasn't
until I read Seth's book, 'Singing For The Stars' that
I realised what he was saying, I had been doing all my
life.

Whilst I think of it: on the posture bit. Whereas
that's good to have in the confines of the singing
studio, most of my students are involved in West End
Shows and Opera, so posture bosture. Anyone who's seen
productions of opera at English National Opera and
some of their very odd productions will agree, you
simply can't think of such things when your suspended
in a chaise longue, thirty feet above your the stage,
standing on your head, and singing a Top C! Believe
me, I've seen it done!!

Anyway, I'm off to New York City on Tuesday 3rd for a
little break, so if I don't get time to hop in to the
site, I shall look forward to it when I return.
However, any listers in NY or thereabouts who wanna
meet up, I'd be happy to try to accomodate.

Best to all,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars, and dance double for
Dame Margot Fonteyn (Yeah1 Right!)