Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  11:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> peggy,
>
> when asked for your opinion on bocelli, church, et. al., why hold your
> tongue? anything you would say would just be a detailed explaination of why
> you don't care for them. and you are entitled not to care for them.

Because if they want my opinion, they'll ask for it. Otherwise, who am I to say
unpleasant things or question their taste, just because they happened to share
their
feelings about an artist? To me, a put-down comment to a simple expression of
opinion is
what gives some "purists" a bad name. My philosophy is live and let live.

> the fact that opera companies are doing better than symphony orchestras
> is not a great comfort (like telling gary coleman "well, at least you're
> taller than webster"). i think you'll also find that the reason for this
> increased interest is exactly due to the reason stated in my previous post.

Your reason could well be THE reason. But my opinion of the non-extinction of
opera in
the forseeable future stands, and I'll hold onto it no matter what!!! (fight to
the death
and all that) Just because something isn't mass taste doesn't mean it's going
extinct. I
don't think opera ever has been a mass taste, so the only difference, I think,
is it's
size/popularity in comparison with the hugeness of the popular music scene.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4838 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Reg Boyle   Sat  9/30/2000   4 KB

emusic.com