Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  11:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:
> I have a friend who's a guitar player. Whenever someone says Eric Clapton is
> the 'guitar king' I can see him stab that person with his eyes. As he
> expects high-level musicianship from guitar players, he still listens to
> rock, but only to Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwee Malmsteen, etc, that is,
> only to virtuoso guitar players.

This illustrates my point. The "virtuosi' have much better raw chops than
Clapton, but Clapton is a better *musician*. He writes much better songs,
connects to his audience, and is actually not a bad guitar player to boot
(esp. for his generation). Listening to Malmsteen is like listening to the
metal version of sledgehammers - no subtlety. The guitar "connoisseur"
clings to Malmsteen because it make him feel elite (not necessarily
talking about your friend, here). Similarly people seem to get off on
bashing Church's technique, forgetting she's just a little girl who is
fresh and appealing to people. True, she needs lessons, but I don't think
it's the industry's fault what's happening to her voice.

-Tako

emusic.com