Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

But also wrote:
> It irks me
> when opera houses subtley amplify their productions
> (and they do, according to the rumors).

If opera houses do that, doesn't it mean that opera may be miked, and it
probably wasn't in the past because Benjamin Franklin was Benjamino
Franklini? Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, my teacher can be heard
over an orchestra but doesn't sing opera. Therefore, saying miking or not
miking can determine which is which doesn't seem to be right or determine
which is truer or the truest.

I think the point here is clear to me: it's expected from opera singers to
have good technique, but the same is not true of pop singers. But the lack
of such expectation does not mean that:
1. Pop singers CAN'T have good technique,
2. Pop singing technique, when present, has to fulfill the same requirements
for opera singing technique. As aesthetic expectations are different ( and
have to be different: listening to opera sung in a purely pop style or the
opposite may be one of the most annoying musical experiences one may have ),
sound productions in each differ in order to fit their styles. But it
doesn't mean NECESSARILY lack of technique among pop singers, although it
generally is.
I have a friend who's a guitar player. Whenever someone says Eric Clapton is
the 'guitar king' I can see him stab that person with his eyes. As he
expects high-level musicianship from guitar players, he still listens to
rock, but only to Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwee Malmsteen, etc, that is,
only to virtuoso guitar players. But they still play rock, no doubt about
that!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4811 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tako Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com