Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Shawna" <allegro@e...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:28 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant

Oh, of course. Popular music is popular music, regardless of the time
period.
What I object to is the glorification of the current pop fads to the
detriment of other forms of artistic expression with perhaps more depth and
staying power.

> While Bocelli would not be good on a real opera stage, he is very musical,
> and his small voice and sense of style are appealing to the CD buying
> public. He can speak to the aesthetic sensibilities of contemporary
> people. Musical legitimacy is not based on arbitrary technical rules (ie
> big voice, no breath admixture, no double portamentos, whatever) - it is
> about communicating and touching people.

Oh, gosh, yes. I believe Bocelli, Church, et. al. do have value. And I think
a big part of that value is making "highbrow" music more accessible to the
masses. Heck, I probably would never have gotten into "serious" singing were
it not for doing a medley from Les Miz in high school choir.
What bothers me is seeing something that roughly resembles something else,
and putting it into the same category. A Hyundai built to look like a Volvo
would be good at being a Hyundai, not a Volvo. It doesn't mean the Hyundai
is any less valuable as itself, but it's not a Volvo. And for that matter,
its performance should not be judged by Volvo standards, either, *unless* it
puts a big ol sign on itself that says "Volvo".

> This isn't saying much, but Americans now are probably much better
> educated on average than people who went to the opera in the past. I bet
> you anything there were some nice-looking or quirky stars centuries ago
> who were not so talented. Also, the castrati were "all the rage" partly
> because they were a freakshow. Do you honestly think they were all great?
> A big part of it was very "daytime talk show" in character.

Yes, I'm sure. But the average person was more *musically* educated during
some of those time periods. What I mean by that is that most people had at
least a rudimentary introduction to reading and playing music. These days,
that's far more rare.
The more knowledge one has about the field, the more likely one is to be a
more involved audience. For instance, I know next to nothing about the
physics or athletic requirements behind figure skating, but I follow it just
the same for some of the flashy performers and moves. The more I learn about
the sport, however, the more I'm able to appreciate the differences in skill
of some of the people involved in it. An axle was a Salchow was a toe loop
to me before, and they all looked marvelous, but now that I know which is
the more difficult move, I'm more likely to appreciate it more when I see it
done.

I'll also say that my increased understanding doesn't mean I don't still
like the flashy stuff and people anyway :) Heck, I'm a huge fan of lots of
pop artists, and actually prefer listening to techno, alternative and modern
folk than Opera in any case. But then again, Tori Amos and her managers
aren't trying to pass her off as the next Sutherland. Apples to oranges, and
I'm just bothered when an apple tries to paint itself orange.

> You just don't hear about the bad singers and operas anymore, just as
> noone will know who the "Back Street Boys" were in 100 years. People
> *will* probably remember Prince, and people who are actually talented
> *and* have something timely to say. I get the feeling we are
> over-romanticizing the greatness of past operas. Most of them were
> awful. We just kept a few good ones.

Yep.
Tiffany who?
New Kids on the Block? Huh?
The good stuff always sticks around.

-Shawna

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4805 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant Tako Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com