Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:17 pm
Subject:  distribution of voices?

Someone mentioned in a post (have forgotten; it was
equating baritones with sopranos, which I thought was
an intriguing idea) that coloraturas are as rare as
tenors.

I have definitely found this NOT to be true. I
remember people at Aspen festival introducing each
other with, "Are you a singer? Yes? Let me guess,
coloratura? Everybody here is a coloratura." I have
seen many a coloratura soprano in conservatory
recitals and competitions. They seem to be the most
plentiful voice type after middle lyric, in fact. (Or
perhaps young sopranos all tend to start out in
coloratura rep, moving into lyric when their voices
mature.) I mean coloratura like Gilda, Norina,
Rosina, competition winners like the Bell Song, Sempre
libera, etc. They seem to be all over the place.

What do you teachers and singers find to be the
distribution? Are tenors as rare as they say? 80%
baritones of them men in your studios? What about
coloraturas vs lyrics vs spintos? Does anyone have a
real contralto? A real hochdramatic?

Just wondering.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

4799 Re: distribution of voices? DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB
4800 Re: distribution of voices? Tako Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB
4835 Re: distribution of voices? April Salerno   Sat  9/30/2000   3 KB

emusic.com