Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  8:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

> there are plenty of
> people who are shrill and they
> make it look so easy. (squillo- italian p.c. for
> shrill.)

mike, I always like your posts -- you're not afraid to
call it as you see it.

However, it rarely seems to be how I see it. I
recently saw San Francisco's production of the Tsar's
Bride, with Dmitri Hvorostovsky in it -- and I
disliked him very much. His voice, while melting and
gorgeous on a CD, couldn't be heard over the orchestra
AT ALL. It washed right over him, and to compensate
he had to push, ending up with a woofy kind of bark.
A voice lacking in squillo (italian p.c. for ring and
brilliance, in my mind) will crash and burn on the
operatic stage.

In my opinion, that's what makes opera singing the
truer form -- it involves the real, true human voice,
unmiked. I much prefer an art form which mandates the
development and training of the voice to be heard, by
itself, without any outside enhancements. It irks me
when opera houses subtley amplify their productions
(and they do, according to the rumors). I mean, it's
okay to give me margarine, but don't tell me it's
butter.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte