Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  7:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MED: sinus infection from wisdom teeth removal (LONG)

> This goes out to the doctors & anyone who has had their wisdom teeth
> taken out.
>
> I had all 4 removed at the advice of my dentist and oral surgeon last
> Friday. By Sunday evening I developed severe sinus and facial pain
> that the painkillers wouldn't dull. I mentioned this to my oral
> surgeon on Monday, but he said he didn't see a break through to the
> sinus when he removed my upper left wisdom tooth so it was probably
> "referential pain" ...and...Wednesday morning, I finally convinced him
> that I did have a major sinus infection,...and he finally put me on
antibiotics. Today is Day 2 of
> antibiotics, and things seem to be improving, but there's still a lot
> of pressure and pain, and drainage is very slow.
>
> I'm wondering how the actual sinus cavity itself will recover fully
> from an infection that wasn't treated for 5 full days, and whether it
> will affect my resonance in the future

Though this may have been developing anyway or may have been secondary to
the surgery, I can not determine. Assuming recovery (and there is no reason
to think otherwise) you should have no future effect on resonance or any
other aspect of your voice.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

emusic.com