Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  3:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

reg,

i feel much the same way as ian does (god help me) that, if the larynx
is not interfered with, it knows better than i do what to do. teachers of
speech level singing, roger love, mark baxter, etc. have expressed this
opinion in there teaching and writing.

the larynx is designed to protect the lungs. when undue pressure is
put upon it, it seizes up (as it should). those of us who believe in
breath managment as a reaction to the intention of phonation are more likely
to feel that concious, mechanical methods of breath managment (and that would
include any method other than leaving it alone) create a condition of undue
pressure against the larynx. most methods use a balance of opposing forces
("dr. strangelove, why are you holding your wrist?" "to keep from poking my
eye out, mein fuhrer!").

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4775 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity LYNDA313@a...   Fri  9/29/2000   2 KB
4801 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Reg Boyle   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB
4818 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/30/2000   2 KB
4819 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity LYNDA313@a...   Sat  9/30/2000   2 KB
4823 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/30/2000   2 KB
4828 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Reg Boyle   Sat  9/30/2000   3 KB
4830 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/30/2000   3 KB
4841 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Ian Belsey   Sat  9/30/2000   4 KB
4863 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Linda Fox   Sat  9/30/2000   3 KB

emusic.com