Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  1:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

mike wrote:

> most of the people i have encountered outside the world of classical
> singing, when refering to someone as an 'opera singer', usually accompany
> their voicing with an unflattering pantomime. even classical
> instrumentalists are often found to have a grim view of 'opera singers'
> (sometimes making the distinction between 'musician' and 'singer'),
finding
> the general 'timbre' ridiculous and uninviting. if these 'educated'
> musicians find it unpleasent, imagine how put off the general public must
be.

MIke, as always, a brave man!! I think you've mentioned something very
important here. There's something that doesn't please me when I listen to
opera: how unnatural their voices sound at all moments. It happens in heavy
metal and sometimes in pop too, but it's generally just an 'effect', not an
imposition of the styles.

I already said that on the list some time ago: there must be a way in
between. I generally refer to Zizi Possi, a Brazilian singer who has two cds
in Italian, one of them is "Per Amore", which I fully recommend, as a
possible lost link ( or an evolutionary leap?! ). I'm still to here an opera
singer who can deliver a song without cliched emotions ( BTW, that's
typically Italian, and with a family name like mine I CAN say that!! With a
mother like mine I CAN REALLY say that! Oh, mom, sorry, I feel guilty
now! ).

Opera singing ends up having an intrinsic 'italianate' campy 'atmosphere'
that can be easily tuned into at any time on RAI, for those who have that on
cable: take a look at their hair, their clothes, their make up, ... and San
Remo Festival... arghhhh... Even their most famous pop rocker, Eros
Ramazotti, should have some classes with Bon Jovi to learn the minimum
requirements for a pop rock song to still sound rock. Of course, their
design and fashion redeems the country and makes me proud of my genes, but
that's not much for the background they've got.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4777 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tak Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   2 KB

emusic.com