Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:04 am
Subject:  Ian's Vocal Fortuity

Dear Ian,
First let me apologise for the screwy formatting.
It was mostly my doing but there's some strange interaction
goes on between send and receive line length on the display!

>I think I'm misleading you re. my support feelings.
>What I should say, is that I've never given it much
>thought, as I've found that extraneous work in the
>epigastric area generally mucks me up!

This is interesting to me because I wonder
just what your breathing feelings are just as you approach
the first note of a song. As a tenor with a quite strong and
clear tone with an improving ability to float throughout the
range, it is of paramount importance to me to 'seat' that
first tonal utterance, so that no throaty tension is within my
body. This for me is represented by the comfortably raised
chest expansion and the springy responsive epigastric zone.

>However, of course, in a floaty type of song, I give
>more, shall we say, concentration on what's occurring.
>For me though, it's all balance of course:

I'm sure it is. I'm just trying to glean: balance of what?
I feel it as a balance of rib stability against epigastric
resilience and without that balance, my vocal composure
will be less than optimum.

> I suppose
>that's obvious. If the larynx is working fine, the
>rest will fall into place.

Interesting that you put it that way because for me that
would be putting the cart before the horse. My aim
has always been to get away from the youthful tendency
to ' sing on the throat '. Remove the tension, so that the
larynx is allowed to operate with minimum interference.

> Lots of students and
>collegues of mine do not agree with me, but I'm afraid
>to say, that I sing with much freer tone than they,
>and have absolutely no worries from the bottom to the
>top of my voice, whether singing forte or a tiny
>pianissimo.

Fortunate indeed. I was interested to hear second hand
from another dancer, the phrase, "shine the sternum to
the stars " it immediately struck a thought that dancers
also use rib expansion for the same reason as do
singers and I can certainly feel the abs doing their thing
during those magnificent gyrations.

> What I do, I just 'do'!
>
>That's probably of no help to you whatsoever!!

On the contrary. I'd like to listen in on what your students
and colleagues have to say now : )
Thank you for your response.

Regards Reg.

emusic.com