Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Also For Anne: the numbering system (now you don't have to look it up) (Yes you do)

>Hi All,

No matter how I try, unless I have a chart in front of me
I'm bound to get it wrong , so even though some may wish it
otherwise, there are still two systems of numbering in common
use.
The newer American system insists on numbering
from the low end of the keyboard to the top end. C1 to C7.
That's C1 10 leger lines below the bottom of the bass staff, to C7 which
is 10 leger lines above the top of the treble staff.
Of course there's no C without a subscript, but who can argue with
American logic?
Now the Helmholtz system hinges (present tense)
around the c which is the second space of the bass staff.
That's logical I'm sure you'll agree because it's regarded as the
lower extreme of the tenor voice, about which the vocal world also
pivots:) That's lower case c with no subscript. All C's below that
c use UPPER CASE and all above that same c use LOWER CASE.
Of course subscript numbers count down to the left, almost, and
upward to the right.
See, simple. This means middle c is c1 not C4. Phew!
Notice particularly the large scale ink saving by using upper and
lower case c's to specify the octave below c and NO subscript.
OK I concede that without a comparison on hand one may
confuse a c with a C . So what momentary consideration and
flourish of the hand led to this below being regarded as an
improvement?

USA Standards Assn.
C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 or
C1 C c c1 c2 c3 c4 Helmholtz.. See logical isn't it? No
heavy handed new world efficiency here. A heavy C for a heavy
voice and an artfully light c for the glitteratte with middle c given
its due as c1no clumsy C4 . Ye Gods, didn't these guys, (and I bet
they were guys,) understand the importance of middle c? ........
the only leger line between the two staves.
Please....can't we call middle c c1 ? Alright, don't newk me, C4.
Then how about C3 C2 C1 C 1C 2C 3C ok ok geez hold with
the fruit.

grumble grumble..can't even spell potatoes sheeet : (

Regards Reg

emusic.com