Vocalist.org archive

From:  roses41usa@n...
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  7:37 pm
Subject:  Fainting on a high B?

Just wondering if any tenors out there have ever had
this experience during a lesson...

I hadn't eaten anything for dinner (I have my voice lessons in the
evening), and when it came time to sing the high B (or is it a B
flat?)in Flotow's M'appari, I got incredibly dizzy and almost passed
out! This was the first I ever skipped a meal. I sang it a couple
more
times and literally almost blacked out! Finally, my teacher asked me
what was wrong. We stopped for awhile and I ate the snack I had
brought along. He explained something about the blood rushing
to my brain and the muscles around my throat whenever you sing a high
note (for me, anything above a G). Guess I'll never skip a meal
again!
It was an extraordinary experience and not one that I would want to
repeat!

Thanks,
Howard Jaffe
(tenor in training)