Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  5:21 pm
Subject:  (Who I am) Was: Gundula Janowitz masterclass

Dear Doris and list,

now the second part, about myself.

No, I did not take part on the masterclass. Next year
I will try to do that; I think by then I will be
technically good enough to dare to sing for Dietrich
Fischer Dieskau and by then I think I will also have
persuaded my pianist to join me. Of course I don't
know whether DFD wants me to take part, but time will
tell.

I am a tenor who sang as a choirboy, did not sing for
twenty years after that, started again when joining a
choir performing the Mozart Requiem, took singing
lessons and became very serious about singing soon
after that. Classical music has always been extremily
important to me.

This is now almost five years ago. Since then I have
practiced almost every day for at least an hour. I
have made great progress on interpretation but my
technique was always heavily leaping behind my
interpretational skills. But in the last half year I
have made a tremendous technical progress, especially
in the last weeks. This I will describe in another
mail after I return from the Bartoli concert/mini
holiday, under the title: Never say never.

I live in Holland, near Amsterdam (about 700 miles
from the Schubertiade region), studied Dutch language
and literature, worked as a journalist for many years,
lived in Germany for 7 years after marrying a German
woman (see below) and started in the IT business when
I returned to Holland, a job which allows to live
comfortably while giving singing almost all the
attention it needs. I also made many reordings of
concerts and always record my practicing. I just
bought a new set of very good microphones.

I am divorced from a woman who did not like the fact
that I took singing so serious and have a daughter who
thinks Cecilia Bartoli is Cinderella, who has heard La
Cenerentola about 700x and The Magic Flute about 699
times. She also went with me to a performance of the
magic flute and sat during the complete opera on my
lap, mouth and eyes wide open. It was very cool, she
said. She is 6.5 years.

I gave my first solo-recital in May, which was the
best and nicest thing I have done in my life, apart
from procreating myself.

O, I almost forgot: I like Lieder very much because I
like to interpret poems (and Lieder, of course), and I
like the combination voice / piano very much. But
maybe even more important: since I have been listening
to Lieder and been reading Heine, Rilke and Goethe
poems during the many years I was supposed to study
but in reality devoted to suffering from an unhappy
love, listening to Mahler, Schubert, Schumann etc.,
visiting bars in search for 1003 new loves, of whom
none turned out to be the right one, to marry finally
(years later) my first big lost love, who divorced me
seven years later because ..(see above), so all those
romantic suffering heroes feel very much like me, a
few years ago.

P.S. More about the masterclasses next week, after my
return.

Best greetings,

Dre