Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  3:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Michael Junior (was: Charlotte Church: the inevitable)

In a message dated 9/27/2000 4:03:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ihateegroups@y... writes:

<< However, I was quite surprised and disappointed
by PBS emphasizing (both in the TV write up and in
their pledge drive) that he is an opera singer.
(snip)
Or is this just a PBS anomaly? (I'm thinking that PBS
was the first and main source I heard about Charlotte
Church and Andrea Bocelli as well - two other singers
with a questionable operatic sound). Hey, maybe PBS is
becoming the marketing tool of choice for certain
singers - oops, conspiracy theories is another mailing
list ;o). >>

I think that there is a certain undereducated (musically speaking)
element of society that refers to anyone who sings "classical" music as an
opera singer. And that's an awfully broad definition of classical music
which includes things like folk song settings accompanied by anything other
than an acoustic guitar. They don't realize that "opera" singer is a subset
of singers who sing with a classical technique.
Also, PBS, to survive funding cuts, has had to work to broaden their
appeal. A lot of average (read musically undereducated) viewers are scared
of classical music - they think it's too difficult for them to understand and
appreciate (NOT a view I share, by the way). PBS, in any way they can both
to fulfill their mission and broaden their viewer base, has turned to
"classical lite" singers like Bocelli and Church, who are perhaps less
threatening to non-musician viewers. It's a practice I personally refer to
as "whoring to the masses", but to quote the comedian Dom Irrera "I don't
mean that in a bad way."

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com