Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 27, 2000  6:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: range of soprano?

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:
> > High sops use the flageolet register. It is often also referred to as
> > "whistle", but that word often refers to another register. The "whistle"
> > voice not a healthy production. I used to do it.
>
> Excuse me, but what's exactly the difference? What Mariah Carrey does so
> often, is that whistle or flageolet?

Don't know Ms. Carey personally, so I couldn't be sure, but my guess is
whistle. I've never heard her reconcile this voice with her lower
registers (flageolet *does* mix with head voice). Also, it sounds to me
like her voice is often overextended - abuse makes "whistle" voice easier
- in my experience, anyway.

Tako

emusic.com