Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Tue Sep 26, 2000  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Uvula (not raised or lowered !)

At 12:40 PM 9/26/00 +0100, you wrote:

>A long while ago on the list someone mentioned
>laser ablation of the uvula to reduce/remove, it in
>the aim of improving the singing voice. Does
>anyone have any info on this ?

I asked my ENT friend about this once as he was peering into my larynx via a
fiberoptic passed through my nose (yecchhh...). His answer was that if the
uvula is large (weighty) enough to pull the velum down, then uvuloplasty may
be of help. If the soft palate is generous and floppy, then
palatopharyngoplasty (by microwave) may help. However, in either case the
risk of such procedures is increased nasality as more air may afterwards
enter the nasopharynx. I suppose the more there is to remove, the less
likely this would be; but that would have to be balanced against the
"aggressiveness" of the surgery. In my case, he said to forget about it.
My palate is taught, and the dangly thing is small. So, I just work on
trying to hkeep my tongue forward and jaw loose, especially for the high notes.

GWendel

emusic.com