Vocalist.org archive

From:  mikebarb@n...
Date:  Tue Sep 26, 2000  3:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Chorus as a stepping stone

> peggyh@i... writes:
>
> << As to very famous singers, one is the Wagnerian tenor Ben Heppner who sang
> chorus with the opera company in Canada (Canadian Opera Company?). >>
>
> Alessandra Marc sang with the Washington Opera Company chorus under her real
> name of Judy Borden.

If those two very hefty voices learned how to blend with other voices (albeit
opera chorus rather than choir) then there is a great deal of hope for other
large voices.

The small chuch choir that I sing in has a soprano with a relatively large
voice with dramatic capabilities. She has adapted her voice, and the choir
director has learned how use to good advantage. It works. I suspect that
problems often exist because both the singer , the director , and others in the
choir have to adapt. This may be asking a lot in some situations. The soprano
in my choir is an almost an entire section herself, and that is when she is
being good. When she is bad (or just being enthusiastic), she is almost the
entire female section. I sit next to her.

From a person who chief vocal problems don't involve sticking out (unless one
counts singing in a rest).

Barbara Roberts

emusic.com