Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa Hart" <ladyamadea@h...>
Date:  Tue Sep 26, 2000  2:21 pm
Subject:  Becoming a soprano

Hi Listers!

*If you have any input on this, please don't hesitate to reply.*

Over the past several months, my singing voice has significantly increased
in range. At the same time, however, the quality of my voice has changed,
becoming more like that of a dramatic soprano. At first only I noticed the
change, but now everyone who hears me sing makes a comment that I don't
sound like a true mezzo. My teacher has also become more determined in
keeping my sound in, what she calls, "a mezzo quality". But I have told her
lately that some of these mezzo sounds are in fact hurting me vocally, at
least from the physical sensations that I am experiencing.

My question is, should I really be trying to keep my voice in a mezzo range?
If my voice naturally feels more comfortable with the quality of a soprano,
then why should I be training it to sound differently? Also, could it be
harmful for me to push my voice in a direction that does not feel "natural"?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments you have.

Lisa Hart
Stephen F. Austin State University

4657 Re: Becoming a soprano sopran@a...   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB
4659 Re: Becoming a soprano RALUCOB@a...   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB
4662 Re: Becoming a soprano Colin Reed   Tue  9/26/2000   4 KB
4728 Re: Becoming a soprano Dre de Man   Thu  9/28/2000   3 KB
4731 Re: Becoming a soprano Shawna   Thu  9/28/2000   6 KB
4735 Re: Becoming a soprano ODivaTina@a...   Thu  9/28/2000   2 KB
4743 Re: Becoming a soprano Lisa M Olson   Thu  9/28/2000   4 KB

emusic.com