Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  6:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: range of soprano?

Tako,
I love your chart, but your distinction between coloraturas and sopranos
brings me to a question. My teacher (as well as a well known voice therapist
I had the pleasure of working with after my voice surgery) thinks that I am
a coloratura. On a good day I do vocalize to the E6. I have an easy C6 most
of the time, but there seems to be some kind of register shift between C6 &
C#6 and going beyond this is difficult. Sometimes I do it and it is easy,
other times I have to stop because it is uncomfortable. BUT, singing songs
is another issue altogether. Our community chorus recently performed the
choral part of Beethoven's 9th (which I wound up faking because I as sick.)
and I found this extremely difficult. I cannot understand why if I have such
a high voice-and my teacher recently told me that she would not be surprised
if I ended up with an A6-then why is it so hard for me to sing up there?
Not that I will have any opportunity to sing that high or really want to, but
I would love it if my G5-C6 were as easy and effortless as the G4-C5.

I have to admit that I am 43 years old and sang alto for 20 years before
discovering that I was really a soprano, and the really high notes only came
after surgery.

Will this ever get any easier? Is it a question of breath support? Tension?

How can my teachers "know" that I should have such high notes when I have
never really sung them (I'm talking about the notes above C6)?

I am getting pretty frustrated. I could quit this and just sing in the
soprano section of the church choir and do easy solos, but I am much too
"type A" for that............

Sorry this is so disjointed,
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4635 Re: range of soprano? Tako Oda   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB
4654 Re: range of soprano? John Alexander Blyth   Tue  9/26/2000   4 KB
4660 Re: range of soprano? Tako Oda   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB

emusic.com