Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  5:10 pm
Subject:  College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 snide76258@a... wrote:
> Is there a music program that you know of where opera is allowed to
> count as an "ensemble" instead of choir?

Just to clarify, do you mean opera roles or opera chorus? When I was at
Indiana Bloomington to fulfill my theory requirements, I was required as a
music student to take an ensemble class. I auditioned for the chorus in
Rigoletto, and it counted. The only soloists who were getting "ensemble"
credit were in rotating casts that were singing in the chorus on
off-nights or were in roles that allowed them to sing with the chorus in
most cases.

Ceprano and Marullo, as you know, are practically chorus members
themselves - they just get occasional solos. This is why it gets
complicated, and why I think "ensemble-status" should be determined on a
role-by-role basis as decided by the director. It's only fair to the
student!

At Mills, we have general "performance" requirements - under the
assumption that you are learning to work with others regardless of the
kind of performance you are doing - (Gamelan, opera scenes, chamber
ensembles, chorus, etc. ) Hope this helps!

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4639 Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Oper snide76258@a...   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB

emusic.com