Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jason and Mary Weaver <jasonmary@e...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  10:24 am
Subject:  Chorus as a stepping stone

Hi once again!

Ok, so this chorus vs. solo discussion has got me all fired up! I just
thought of one more point that I thought may be relevant to some out there.
How many prof. solo singers are out there who started out by singing in an
opera chorus? I know, some people don't want to admit to it, but I know
there are a number. I personally know of 6 or 7 singers who are soloists
now, but got their first experiences in an opera chorus. In fact, it has
been a terrific way to earn money and network (and learn German) for many
Americans who have come to Germany to get a solo career started. They get a
job in a chorus here and do auditions until they get something "solo". It's
not a super easy thing to do, but it has worked for some.

This brings me to my posting of a while ago. We have a couple of job
openings in the chorus here for men (sorry, gals!) that might be right for
someone who wants to come and get into the German system. Here's the info
again and if anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me!
jasonmary@e...

OLDENBURGISCHES STAATSTHEATER
Oldenburg (Oldb.), Germany

Our Opera Chorus is looking for: 1 first Tenor - to start immediately
1 second Bass - to start
Aug. 15, 2001

Preliminary auditions will be held through tape recording. Recording must
include: 3 vocal selections of contrasting styles. 1 must be an aria and 1
must be in German.

Requirements: We are looking for men who have seriously studied voice
(emphasis on opera) and have basic knowledge of the German language plus
good diction skills (especially in German).

Please send resumé, photo, list of performed repertoire and tape to:

Thomas Bönisch, Chordirektor
Oldenburgisches Staatstheater
Theaterwall 28
D-26122 Oldenburg
GERMANY

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4630 Re: Chorus as a stepping stone Mezzoid@a...   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB
4640 Re: Chorus as a stepping stone Margaret Harrison   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB
4643 Re: Chorus as a stepping stone Mezzoid@a...   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB
4648 Re: Chorus as a stepping stone Craig Tompkins   Tue  9/26/2000   2 KB
4656 Re: Chorus as a stepping stone mikebarb@n...   Tue  9/26/2000   3 KB

emusic.com