Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  12:49 am
Subject:  Re: Fw: [vocalist-temporary] vibrato

Hi Mike,

You're welcome for the spell check! Lol!

Well, strangely enough, I had already tried that put
your finger on your palate idea, and was equally
surprised how 'up' mine was! I think what we're about
to hit on here, and this may sound an obvious thing to
say, is that of course we're all different. There is
only one way the voice is produced, but the processes
that lead it out and about could (I use the word
advisedly!) be very different for you and me for
instance, and maybe, just maybe, that's how it should
be? On that, I summise, so it's just late night
thoughts, being thought aloud!!

I know (and here I must be like Melba!) that I have a
great deal of control over my palate: indeed, it
sometimes feels like the pressing of keys on a flute
(her words, not mine) I know exactly how that feels. I
can feel if my palate is way up, or way down low, or
slightly low, in the middle or whatever!

Of course, as you said, it's the vocal cords that are
in direct control of air flow, and that's what any vib
problem will be associated with.

Best again,

Ian